Welcome to the Hockey Internationals Club of Great Britain.
We are creating a club that encourages all current and past full international players, officials and support staff from GB, England, Ireland (if they played for or were eligible for GB),Scotland & Wales (see full Rules for Eligibility below) to register their details with a view to coming back into the hockey family and be a part of the lead up to, during and after the 2012 Olympic games. The core elements of the club are being defined and will evolve over the first few years of operation and in line with the views of the members and the nature of their desired involvement.
They are likely to include :
1. Invitations to attend events, functions and matches and have preferential tickets and areas where members can meet and socialise
2. Use of the club database to organise your own smaller re-unions or events
3. To be kept regularly informed on matters within Hockey which may be of interest and also provide up to date information on the Olympics (including ticketing), GB and Home Nation Hockey News and any information members would like
The club will be seen as a standalone initiative set up and run by its members for its own initiatives and objectives.
It will be sponsored by the Great Britain Hockey Board and facilitated by (but not organised by) the England Hockey Board (EHB) for the first year. EHB will provide specific support on data management (selection, importing and exporting of data from the database) and some administration but the club communications, management, organisation and general administration will be run by the club itself.
The club has not been positioned as a fund raising entity so the membership fee has initially been set at a low level of £10 per year. In the early years of this new Club, it is felt that the most important focus should be on providing opportunities for friends to meet up at International and specific HIC events and to find ways for the club and its members to support GB and all the Home Countries in their respective bids for International success e.g. at the London Olympics next year and the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in 2014.
The key objectives of the club will be to;
1. Encourage eligible individuals to return and become an active part of the hockey family
2. Provide the members with an environment where they can meet friends and socialise at hockey events
3. Provide the opportunity for the sport to ‘thank' them for the services they will have given to hockey
4. Provide networking opportunities within the group so individuals can make contact and hopefully put more time back into our sport i.e. participating in masters events, administering or volunteering within the sport, be ambassadors for the sport, provide sponsorship opportunities It is envisaged the first year will be seen as a scoping exercise to establish the levels of interest and how the governance of such a club could work most effectively.
EHB have agreed to provide GB with the administrative support for the first year to give the club a chance to start and asses its viability.
It is very much seen as a club where the members themselves must make the voluntary effort to help bring the club into existence with the provision of the professional support of EHBs database and administrative staff.
Rules of Eligibility
The intention would be to have as broad and full a membership as possible.
The club is intended to include all Great Britain and Home Nation athletes and officials.
Eligible for membership would be;
1. Any athlete, past and present, who has played a full international (outdoor or indoor) for GB, England, Ireland (if they have played for or were eligible for GB), Scotland and Wales.
2. Any Umpire and Official (TD, TO) who have had an international appointment from the FIH or EHF in relation to any officially capped full international match.
3. Any Coach, Manager, Doctor or Physiotherapist who has supported a full international team in an Olympic Games, World Cup, Commonwealth Games, European Cup or Champions Trophy (outdoor or indoor).